On this site, in the southern corner of The Square, beside All Saints Church, the Colonial Bank built at impressive and handsome brick edifice after a fire in 1891 swept through this part of town. That building was purchased by the Council in 1900 for the Public Library but in 1905 the Library was exiled to the corner opposite the Post Office and the Council itself moved in. The 1944 the building was demolished and this photograph (taken from in front of All Saints), looks back past the vacant lot towards the Evening Standard headquarters (1937 remodelled 1975-1976) and shows the site before the new building, now Square Edge, was erected.
- Created By
- 47 The Square, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library
- Community Tags