Skip to Content

More Info →Old Council Chamber Site

The Municipal Chambers, designed by R and W Thorrold-Jaggard replaced the earlier (1905) building on the site, they were opened on 13 June, 1945 and this shot apparently taken in springtime, may be either from earlier in 1945 (since the rooms look unoccupied) or from early 1946 (since the electric clock was not added until later). Thorrold-Jaggard papers, especially volumes III and IV; IV, 12 includes a defence of the Thorrold-Jaggard art deco style of architecture.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Bm107_009646
Title
Old Council Chamber Site
Relation
Public Collection Bm 107; Thorrold-Jaggard Collection
Format
B&W print
Held In
Community Archives
Archive
R.W. Tnorrold-Jaggard

Related items

Old Council Chamber Site
Old Council Chamber Site (Now Square Edge)
Old Council Chambers
Old Council Chamber Site (Now Square Edge)
Municipal Chamber in The Square - 1950
View of All Saint’s Anglican Church from The Square
Colour Postcard of "South View" of the Square
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
'Square Edge', The Square - 2010
Palmerston North City Council treasury staff at work
Postcard of Church Street West
Square Edge

Creation

Created By
Date
1945 to 1946

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Old Council Chamber Site
Old Council Chamber Site (Now Square Edge)
Old Council Chambers
Old Council Chamber Site (Now Square Edge)
Municipal Chamber in The Square - 1950
View of All Saint’s Anglican Church from The Square
Colour Postcard of "South View" of the Square
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
'Square Edge', The Square - 2010
Palmerston North City Council treasury staff at work
Postcard of Church Street West
Square Edge

User comments