Longburn is situated just south of Palmerston North. In 1890, the Longburn Slaughtering and Freezing Company established this freezing works. Initially capital was insufficient and the business fell into the hands of Liquidators, the National Mortgage and Agency Company. The works were sold to the Co-operative Wholesale Society (U.K) in 1940. At the time this photograph was taken the Society was in the process of spending $10,000,000 to install an up-to-date mutton slaughtering complex to be completed in 1976. The Longburn Freezing Works closed in October 1987.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Longburn Freezing Works and township
- Held In