The Palmerston North Abattoir was situated in Awapuni for 63 years. Opened in December 1906, the works were operated by the Manawatu Meat Company until 1917, when the Borough Council purchased them. They remained under Council control until their demolition in 1969 and since then the city’s meat has been obtained from a regional abattoir at Feilding. The two men in bowler hats are the managers of the Manawatu Meat Company: L to R: A J Rawstrom and C. F. Carter.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Palmerston North abattoir, Maxwells Line
- Held In