Skip to Content

Andrews and Sons Furnishings was founded by Mr Alfred Andrews on a half acre section in Rangitikei Street in 1902. In 1915 two sons, A J and F N Andrews, took over the factory and small shop at the front of the building. This photograph shows the store after 1924, after the retail side of the business was expanded and called "Andrews and Sons" (when F N Andrews was sole owner). The company is still doing business as Peter Andrews Furnishers Ltd at 228 Rangitikei Street (2007). It has since been demolished and a collection of retail shops called the Tikei Mall. [2020].

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Bc249_BUI_0186
Title
Andrews & Sons Furnishers, Rangitikei Street
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Andrews & Sons Furnishers, Rangitikei Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
"Elegant Reminder of Royal Occasion in City" Banquet Table and Two Chairs
Interior of Garners Building, Broadway Avenue
Entrance hall of 'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Bathroom at 7 Heatley Avenue
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
Grand Hotel bedroom
Civic Centre
Sitting room of 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
Living room of 7 Heatley Avenue

Creation

Created By
Place
228 Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1920 to circa 1929

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
business,
furnishings,
furniture,
photographs,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Andrews & Sons Furnishers, Rangitikei Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
"Elegant Reminder of Royal Occasion in City" Banquet Table and Two Chairs
Interior of Garners Building, Broadway Avenue
Entrance hall of 'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Bathroom at 7 Heatley Avenue
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
Grand Hotel bedroom
Civic Centre
Sitting room of 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
Living room of 7 Heatley Avenue

User comments