'Totaranui' was built in Fitzroy Street by Peter Manson, a sawmiller, c1875. It is one of the oldest remaining houses in Palmerston North. It was built of locally milled totara and was named 'Totara-nui', meaning large totara, by Manson. It remained the home of the Manson family until about 1903, during which time it was enlarged, and was then used as a rental house until bought by William Pascoe in 1908. The Pascoe family lived in the house until donating it to the city in 1970. Restoration was then undertaken by the Historical Committee of the Palmerston North Centennial Association, and the house now resides as part of the Te Manawa complex.