Skip to Content

The lakelet was constructed in The Square, Palmerston North, in 1909 by the Beautifying Society. In 1953 Arthur Hopwood gifted the city of Palmerston North £10,000 to build a new tower in The Square to hold the clock and chimes removed from the Post Office after the 1942 earthquake. A cross was first erected on the top of the Clock Tower in 1960. Both the lakelet and Clock Tower were last refurbished as part of the 'City Heart' project about 2007.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Research File A175/72/3
Date
circa 1971
Digitisation ID
2007P_A175/72/3_CLO_0511
Held In
Research File

Related items

The Square gardens
The Square, Palmerston North
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
Clock Tower in the Square, looking towards Rangitikei Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Bicycling Through The Square
Corner of Church Street and The Square
A View of the Lakelet
View of The Lakelet
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Clock Tower, The Square, on cover of Palmerston North telephone book

Taxonomy

Tags
1970s,
butterfly lake,
clock tower,
clocktower,
lakelet,
the square,
thematic collections,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square gardens
The Square, Palmerston North
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
Clock Tower in the Square, looking towards Rangitikei Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Bicycling Through The Square
Corner of Church Street and The Square
A View of the Lakelet
View of The Lakelet
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Clock Tower, The Square, on cover of Palmerston North telephone book