Skip to Content

More Info →Palmerston North Post Office

A new Post Office for Palmerston North was completed and opened in 1906, on the corner of Main Street and The Square. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Po13_007775
Title
Palmerston North Post Office
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po13
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Palmerston North Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
A View of the Square
A View of The Square from All Saints Church
Band Rotunda in The Square
2nd Field Ambulance Corps parade, The Square
Businesses on The Square
Main Post Office, The Square
Flags Decorating The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of The Square and Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1910

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Palmerston North Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
A View of the Square
A View of The Square from All Saints Church
Band Rotunda in The Square
2nd Field Ambulance Corps parade, The Square
Businesses on The Square
Main Post Office, The Square
Flags Decorating The Square

User comments