Skip to Content

More Info →Main Post Office, The Square

This building was Palmerston North’s fourth Post Office, operating from 1906-1988. It was extended towards Broadway and up Main Street in the early 1920s and in 1937. It was originally built with a clock tower but this was removed in 1942 for safety reasons and the clock and chimes were re-housed in the ‘new’ clock tower in The Square in 1957. This view shows the side that is on Main Street East.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Po27_007518
Title
Main Post Office, The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po 27
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Main Post Office, The Square
The Square, from Main Street to Broadway
Former Post Office building, corner of The Square and Main Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Palmerston North Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Overlooking The Square
The Shops in The Square in the 1960s
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
Looking across The Square to Main Street.

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1982

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Main Post Office, The Square
The Square, from Main Street to Broadway
Former Post Office building, corner of The Square and Main Street
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Palmerston North Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Overlooking The Square
The Shops in The Square in the 1960s
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
Looking across The Square to Main Street.

User comments