The Golden Gate Milk Bar was situated at 78 Courtenay Place, Wellington, opposite the St James Theatre. The Reading Centre has now been built on the site, and the Milk Bar was situated to the east of the Reading Centre. It was owned and operated by Peter Bares 1935-1942. Peter Bares was born in Greece and emigrated to New Zealand in 1930. In 1945 he moved to Palmerston North when he bought the Royale Dutch luncheon and tearooms. Further information can be found on the Bares family and businesses at IMCA A175/381-R.