Detailed plan of the deck and internal ladders of the Palmerston North Clock Tower. The clock in the Clock Tower, named Kerei Te Panau after a local Rangitāne chieftain, was originally housed in the Chief Post Office. Due to safety concerns both the tower and clock were removed from the Post Office after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, and the clock placed in storage. In 1953 Arthur Hopwood gifted the city of Palmerston North £10,000 to build a new tower in The Square to hold the clock and chimes. It was completed in 1957.