Skip to Content

The Coles building was constructed in 1906 of brick with reinforced concrete, for Henry Coles who had a music shop on the ground floor and leased the rest of the building. Descendants of the Coles family owned the building until c1970 when the Palmerston North City Council bought the property and leased the shops. The building was closed in April 1974 and demolished in May 1974, to make way for the new Palmerston North City Council complex.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2009P_Bc134_BUI_2557
Title
Coles building, The Square
Held In
Coolstore
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 134
Date
March 1974

Related items

Coles building, The Square
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Ruahine Street shops
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Shoe Store Ltd and Gillespie's Value House, Main Steet
Repairing shoes at Eeyore's Cobblery shop, Featherston Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Main Street and The Square, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
'sportsman' sporting shop,
building,
buildings,
business,
commercial,
store,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Coles building, The Square
Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Ruahine Street shops
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Shoe Store Ltd and Gillespie's Value House, Main Steet
Repairing shoes at Eeyore's Cobblery shop, Featherston Street