Skip to Content

More Info →Demolition of Coles building, The Square

The Coles building was constructed in 1906 of brick with reinforced concrete, for Henry Coles who had a music shop on the ground floor and leased the rest of the building. Descendants of the Coles family owned the building until c1970 when the Palmerston North City Council bought the property and leased the shops. The building was closed in April 1974 and demolished in May 1974, to make way for the new Palmerston North City Council complex.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2009N_Bc107_BUI_2381
Title
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 107
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Coles building, The Square
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Ruahine Street shops
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Coles building, The Square
Repairing shoes at Eeyore's Cobblery shop, Featherston Street

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
May 1974

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Staff outside Pink and Collison, Motor Cycle Agents, Cuba Street
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Coles building, The Square
Interior of The Universal Supply Depot shop, Main Street
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Millar and Giorgi menwear shop, The Square
Demolition of Coles building, The Square
Ruahine Street shops
Broadtop Bookshop, Broadway Avenue
Terrace End Hardware, Ruahine Street
Coles building, The Square
Repairing shoes at Eeyore's Cobblery shop, Featherston Street

User comments