C M Ross Company (Roscos) built these new premises in 1927 - 1928. Founded by Charles Mackintosh Ross in 1882 the business moved to this site in The Square in 1883, selling drapery, clothing and furnishings. Roscos continued operation until 1959 when the business was sold and continued as Milne and Choyce, then DIC and lastly Arthur Barnetts. In 1991 it ceased business as a department store and was bought by the Palmerston North City Council. It was converted into the City Library opening in 1996.