Skip to Content

More Info →'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street

Built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, the house was bought by John Henderson Pollock Strang in 1903 and extensively renovated and extended. During 1908-1910 the house was leased by Strang to the Crown for use as the residence of Lord Plunket, Governor General of New Zealand. In 1921 it was sold to William Caccia Birch. It remained in the Caccia Birch family until gifted to the Government in 1941. After various uses it was eventually given to the Palmerston North City Council. It is now called Caccia Birch and serves as a function centre.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur61_3169
Title
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 61
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch House front entrance
Caccia Birch House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
70 Linton Street, Palmerston North
Caccia Birch House, Te Awe Awe Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
11 Bourke Street
16 Guy Avenue
115 Linton Street
16 Guy Avenue

Creation

Created By
Place
130 Te Awe Awe Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1910

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch House front entrance
Caccia Birch House, 130 Te Awe Awe Street
70 Linton Street, Palmerston North
Caccia Birch House, Te Awe Awe Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
11 Bourke Street
16 Guy Avenue
115 Linton Street
16 Guy Avenue

User comments