Caccia Birch, as it is known today, was designed by L G West and built for Jacob Nannestad, a sawmiller, in about 1892. After being sold to Jack Strang in 1903 the house was extensively enlarged, both by him and by the New Zealand Government during the time it was leased to them for use as Government House 1908-1910. In 1921 the house was sold to William Caccia Birch. After Caccia Birch's death it was gifted to the NZ Government, in 1941, and was variously used by the army in WWII, as a convalescent home for nurses, and by both Victoria and Massey Universities. The house has been owned by Palmerston North City Council since 1984 and has been restored and renovated as a conference and function centre. It is a Category 1 listed building with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust because of its historical and architectural and community significance. At the time of this photograph the home was in a state of disrepair.
- Created By
- E Creamer
- 130 Te Awe Awe Street, Hokowhitu, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library
- Community Tags