This view shows Main Street (foreground) and Church Street East (behind). Sights include the Palmerston North Court House on Main Street (Palmerston North's fourth, from 1897-1988), the Palmerston North Opera House on Church Street (built 1904-1905 and demolished 1996) and the second St Andrews Church (built 1893, demolished 1957). The "G.P.O. Tower" mentioned in the title is the General Post Office, which stood on the corner of Main Street East and The Square. The building remains, but no longer operates as a post office and the tower was removed.