Skip to Content

More Info →Children Play in the Lakelet

This photograph looks towards the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square. In the middle of the image, children can be seen playing in the Lakelet. It was the main feature of the last quadrant of The Square to be developed by the Beautifying Society. James Nash, Mayor of Palmerston North, opened The Lakelet on 27 October 1909. It is shaped as a butterfly, with the wings being bisected by a bridge as its body. It is also referred to as the Butterfly Lake. The building in the background is the old Palmerston North Municipal Library.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_IMCA_Coolstore_010079
Title
Children Play in the Lakelet
Relation
Digital Photograph Collection, with hardcopy held (see Coolstore)
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Children Play in the Lakelet
Children at the Lakelet in the Square
Palmerston North Municipal Library
Construction of C M Ross Building, The Square
Andrews Collection: View of The Square from CM Ross Department Store
Fourth Public Library, corner of The Square and Fitzherbert Avenue
People beside the lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Campbell Street School Students with Snowman, The Square
Gardens in The Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
Boy Poses on Cannon in The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and the Square, Palmerston North
Date
August 1963

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Children Play in the Lakelet
Children at the Lakelet in the Square
Palmerston North Municipal Library
Construction of C M Ross Building, The Square
Andrews Collection: View of The Square from CM Ross Department Store
Fourth Public Library, corner of The Square and Fitzherbert Avenue
People beside the lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Campbell Street School Students with Snowman, The Square
Gardens in The Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
Boy Poses on Cannon in The Square

User comments