Skip to Content

The abattoir opened on 5 December 1906. The Palmerston North Borough Council took the business over as a municipal venture in 1917, until in April 1951 it was handed over to a company of butchers to lease. It was demolished in 1969 and the land subdivided for housing in the rapidly growing Awapuni area of Palmerston North.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bm 36
Date
circa 1920
Digitisation ID
2009N_Bm36_BUI_2655
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Checking carcasses at the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
All Saints Church, Church Street

Taxonomy

Tags
brick building,
buildings,
meat industry,
palmerston north city council,
photographs,
pncc,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Checking carcasses at the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Municipal Chambers and All Saints Church, Church Street
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
All Saints Church, Church Street