C M Ross Co Ltd was one of the foremost department stores in Palmerston North. It was established in The Square in 1883. As it expanded it acquired more property, including through to George Street and Coleman Place. In 1927 it demolished its three existing frontages on The Square and built a new four storey building, remaining in business throughout construction. This building served as a department store until it was purchased by the Palmerston North City Council and renovated into the Central Library for Palmerston North.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Construction of C M Ross department store, The Square
- Held In