Skip to Content

More Info →Cannon in The Square

This photograph was taken in the corner of The Square closest to Broadway Avenue. On the left is the Ladies' Restroom, an art deco structure built in the 1936. In the centre is one of two cannons that were once in The Square. They were placed there in 1909 after the Palmerston North Borough Council purchased them from the Defence Force. The other cannon sat in the opposite corner, near the Lakelet. By 1939, the Council decided the cannons had outlived their usefulness and sold them to a scrap dealer who cut up the steel undercarriages and buried the barrels in an Albert Street property. See Research File A175/72/2 in the Ian Matheson City Archives, City Library for more information.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq297_008927
Title
Cannon in The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 297
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Cannon in The Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
Man and Dog Next to Fountain, The Square
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
Cannon in The Square
Panorama of The Square from the top of the Post Office - circa 1914-1920
Lakelet and Observatory
A View of the Lakelet
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
A View of The Square Gardens

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1936 to 1939

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Cannon in The Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
Man and Dog Next to Fountain, The Square
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
Cannon in The Square
Panorama of The Square from the top of the Post Office - circa 1914-1920
Lakelet and Observatory
A View of the Lakelet
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
A View of The Square Gardens

User comments