The back of this post card contains a message dated 22 February 1910 and is addressed to the McLennan family of "Naumail", College Street Palmerston North. The donor was a descendant of this family. On the far right is the two-storey wooden Royal Hotel, situated on the corner of The Square (pat section 110), but also having a large frontage to Rangitikei Street. Alongside the hotel is a two-storey brick building and then comes the Phoenix Hotel on the corners of King and Rangitikei Streets. This two storey building was replaced in 1911 by the concrete Hotel Imperial, which was demolished in 1971 to make way for the Commercial Union building. On the north side of King Street is the small wooden auction mart of Harry Palmer and Co. The next building is the two-storey brick "Dawick's Buffet" (once home to the Royal Hotel after it relocated off of The Square). Alongside this building (on the corner of Queen Street) was Adam Burges' agricultural implement factory. In the north side of Queen Street (part of section 114) is Mounsey's auction mart.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- A view of Rangitikei Street from the Square
- Held In