The former Municipal Chambers became an arts centre, known as ‘Square Edge’ when it was vacated by the Palmerston North City Council in 1980. Built as the Palmerston North City Council Municipal building in 1944-1945, it was designed by Reginald Thorrold Jaggard. The Council had occupied the same site in the former Colonial Bank of New Zealand building until it was demolished to make way for their new offices. It retained the 1924 addition (which contained the Council Chamber) at the rear. The building was repainted in 2010.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- 'Square Edge', The Square - 2010
- Held In
- IMCA Digital Archive