Skip to Content

More Info →Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square

The Grand Hotel was designed by J G Maddison in the Second Empire style, and constucted in 1906 by Trevor and Sons. It replaced the Provincial Hotel which burned down in the same year. As an hotel it hosted many important vistors, including two Royal visits. In 1985 the hotel was converted into commercial offices and retail space. While the interior of the building retains little of its former self the exterior is largely as built, although the turret was removed as an earthquake risk. Photographs taken for Historic Pubs of Palmerston North walk, Local History Week 2010. Tour guides Bryan Ibell and Cindy Lilburn.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010BD_IMCA-DigitalMaster_004442
Title
Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square
Relation
Local History Week 2010 Photograph Collection
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Club Hotel, Church Street
The Royal, Rangitikei Street
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
View from second floor balcony
Eketahuna Hotel

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of The Square and Church Street, Palmerston North
Date
November 3, 2010

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Club Hotel, Church Street
The Royal, Rangitikei Street
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
View from second floor balcony
Eketahuna Hotel

User comments