The Manawatu Street plant, situated on 'Lanes Beach’, was used by Child Brothers prior to the establishment of their metal-crushing plant at the end of Albert Street in 1927. Horses carted stones from the riverbank to the crushing plant and then the Dennis truck delivered metal around the town. The men leaning on the truck are, from left, Albert Millington and Archie Wagstaff. Child Brothers Ltd, Carriers and Fuel Merchants, was established in 1919 by Edward G Child and his sons, W J Child & E W H Child. The business later became known as Child Metal Ltd.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Child Brothers Ltd metal plant, Manawatu Street
- Held In