Skip to Content

All Saints Church looks newly built in this postcard, dating it to around 1915. The back of the postcard reads, "Jewell". A woman with two children are shown standing next to the cannon that stood in the Square. Two surplus cannons were purchased by the Council from the Defence Department and placed in The Square in 1909. They were removed in 1939. Behind can be seen, from left: The Borough Council offices, constructed as the Colonial Bank in c 1892 and used as a Public Library 1900-1905 and before conversion into the administration building of the Palmerston North Borough Council; All Saints Church, built 1914; Grand Hotel, built 1906.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2016P_Postcard15_013203
Title
South-West Corner of The Square, 1915
Format
Postcard
Held In
Coolstore
Archive
Postcard Collection
Date
circa 1915

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
Square Gardens and Lakelet
The Lakelet, The Square
Scenes from Palmeston North, c1936
Souvenir of Palmerston North, N.Z.
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
The South Corner of The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Te Marae o Hine / The Square

Creation

Created By

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
all saints church,
cannon,
grand hotel,
lakelet,
singer,
water,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square, with All Saints and The Grand Hotel beyond
Square Gardens and Lakelet
The Lakelet, The Square
Scenes from Palmeston North, c1936
Souvenir of Palmerston North, N.Z.
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
The South Corner of The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Te Marae o Hine / The Square