Skip to Content

More Info →Rose Gardens in the Square

The rose gardens in The Square were laid in the early 1900s. Also shown in this photograph are the Statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe (built 1907) and to the left of that the old Post Office. This was Palmerston North's fourth Post Office and was built in 1905-1906. The clock tower was removed after the Wellington earthquake in 1942, but the mechanism was later used in Hopwood Clock Tower.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq30_008838
Title
Rose Gardens in the Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 30
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Rose Gardens in the Square
The Square Looking North
Overlooking The Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
A View of The Square
The Square from Main Street East
A View of the Square
King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, The Square
Postcard of The Square
Looking Down Church Street
Palmerston North Post Office

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1915

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
te awe awe statue,

Report a problem

Related items

Rose Gardens in the Square
The Square Looking North
Overlooking The Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
A View of The Square
The Square from Main Street East
A View of the Square
King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, The Square
Postcard of The Square
Looking Down Church Street
Palmerston North Post Office

User comments