The postcard is addressed to Mr Ernest Low, Holly Lodge Paiti, Wanganui and sent by SE Collingwood. The domed structure in the middle of the photograph is the original band rotunda that once sat in The Square. It was moved to the Victoria Esplanade in 1907 and replaced with a larger rotunda. The features from left are: Child's Commercial Hotel (built 1900); Bon Marche (CM Ross, est 1882); Bell tower of the old Fire Station Building. This was demolished in 1910 or 1911 so the photograph must have been taken pre 1911; Band Rotunda; King Edward VII Coronation Memorial - later combined with the Square Fountain to become the Coronation Fountain that currently sits in The Square near the corner of Broadway Avenue; Clarendon Hotel, corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street. This was rebuilt in brick after a fire destroyed the original wooden building in 1904.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking Across The Square to Coleman Place
- Held In