Skip to Content

More Info →'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line

This two storey, half timbered house, designed by C T Natusch and Sons and known as 'Shalimar', was built for D W Strang c1903. In 1925 it was purchased by the New Zealand Sheepowners' Acknowledgment of Debt to British Seaman Fund and the home was run as the 'Girls Flock House'. It was taken over by the Women’s Division of the Farmers' Union in 1939, renamed 'Kainga Moe' and used as a rest home and domestic training centre until it was completely destroyed in a fire in 1958.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010P_Bur334_3384
Title
'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 334
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line
Back view of Monrad homestead, Karere
Drawing room of "Whare Rata", Fitzherbert
Staircase at 182 Fitzherbert Avenue
398 Church Street
9 Chaytor Street
House, Fitzherbert Street
Rawstrom family and house, corner of Princess and Ferguson Streets
54 Waldegrave Street
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
Early cottage
Men gathered in front of house

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1950

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line
Back view of Monrad homestead, Karere
Drawing room of "Whare Rata", Fitzherbert
Staircase at 182 Fitzherbert Avenue
398 Church Street
9 Chaytor Street
House, Fitzherbert Street
Rawstrom family and house, corner of Princess and Ferguson Streets
54 Waldegrave Street
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
Early cottage
Men gathered in front of house

User comments