This image was taken for a story that ran in The Manawatu Evening Standard on 14 March 1957: "The plaque on the new city clock tower in The Square, which cause a controversy a few weeks ago, has now been replaced in its corrected form. A local monumentalist completed the job early today."
The plaque reads:
"The clock and chimes, christened Kerei Te Panau by Mrs W. T. Wood were opened and started on 3rd June 1906 in the Post Office by Rt. Hon. Sir Joseph Ward P.C..K.C.M.G. Prime Minister and Postmaster General and were removed from that building after the 1942 earthquake and restarted in this tower donated by Arthur Hopwood Esq. in the year 1957."