The old Municipal Chambers became an arts centre, known as ‘Square Edge’ when they were vacated by the Palmerston North City Council in 1980. The first tenant moved in January 1981. The Palmerston North City Council Municipal building was designed by Reginald Thorrold Jaggard and built in 1944-1945. The Council had occupied the same site in the former Colonial Bank of New Zealand building until it was demolished to make way for their new offices. The new building retained the 1924 addition, containing the Council Chamber, at the rear.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- 'Square Edge', The Square - 1981
- Held In