Skip to Content

Three women sit behind sewing machines at the Libertyland Factory, Palmerston North. R W H Symington and Co. (N Z) Ltd first established themselves in New Zealand in 1934. Specialising in corsetry and underwear manufacturing, a small factory was built in Palmerston North in 1937, and the main "Libertyland " factory was completed and opened in 1946. The company was acquired by Courtalds Pty (UK) in 1965 and then in 1990 became a wholly owed subsidy of Lane Walker Rudkin (LWR) lndustries Ltd, New Zealand’s largest textile garment company. Libertyland closed to business in July 2009, and was demolished in 2012.

Identification

Object type
Image
Identifier
2010-26
Relation
Coolstore - 2010-26
Date
1950s
Digitisation ID
2015P_2010-26_012419
Format
B&W print
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Machinists at Libertyland Factory
Libertyland Factory Staff at Tea
Libertyland Factory
Libertyland Factory during a Flood
The Manawatu Knitting Mills Limited History
Haydon Clothing Manufacturing Co. Ltd
Making Cloth at Jacquard Hosiery Mill
Accomodation block, Longburn Freezing Works
Workman, Longburn Freezing Works
Boxing sheep livers, Longburn Freezing Works
Longburn Freezing Works staff
Fitzherbert East Creamery

Creation

Created By
Place
Corner of Tremaine and Roy Street

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
1950s,
factory,
libertyland,
sewing machine,
women,
workers,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Machinists at Libertyland Factory
Libertyland Factory Staff at Tea
Libertyland Factory
Libertyland Factory during a Flood
The Manawatu Knitting Mills Limited History
Haydon Clothing Manufacturing Co. Ltd
Making Cloth at Jacquard Hosiery Mill
Accomodation block, Longburn Freezing Works
Workman, Longburn Freezing Works
Boxing sheep livers, Longburn Freezing Works
Longburn Freezing Works staff
Fitzherbert East Creamery