The Libertyland Factory struck by floodwaters in Palmerston North. R W H Symington and Co. (N Z) Ltd first established themselves in New Zealand in 1934. Specialising in corsetry and underwear manufacturing, a small factory was built in Palmerston North in 1937, and the main "Libertyland " factory was completed and opened in 1946. The company was acquired by Courtalds Pty (UK) in 1965 and then in 1990 became a wholly owed subsidy of Lane Walker Rudkin (LWR) lndustries Ltd, New Zealand’s largest textile garment company. Libertyland closed to business in July 2009, and was demolished in 2012.
- Created By
- Clarice Parlane
- Corner of Roy and Tremaine Avenue
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services