Skip to Content

The Square was laid out as a reserve in the original plans for the town of Palmerston North. In the early 1900s the Beautifying Society laid out the first formal gardens, culminating in the lakelet, sometimes referred to as the Butterfly Lake due to its shape, which opened in 1909. The bridge that bisects the lakelet is the fourth built, and the fountains were added in 1966.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010BD_IMCA-DigitalMaster_004452
Title
The Square gardens
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Relation
Local History Week 2010 Photograph Collection
Date
November 3, 2010

Related items

The Square gardens
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Balloon ascent, The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet and Square Gardens
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
The Square, Palmerston North
56 Linton Street ready for removal

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
2010,
butterfly lake,
colour,
photographs,
reserves,
the square,
water,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square gardens
A Colour Photograph of Church Street
Balloon ascent, The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Lakelet and Square Gardens
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
The Square, Palmerston North
56 Linton Street ready for removal