This photograph shows the The Square as taken from the top of the former Public Library building (now the Square Centre). To the left is the statue of Te Peeti Te Awe Awe, and directly behind the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue. Te Peeti Te Awe Awe (c 1820-1884), a chief of the Rangitane tribe, was involved with negotiations and the sale of Maori Land for the opening up of the Manawatu for pakeha settlement, and a marble statue of him was installed in The Square, Palmerston North, in 1907. From the right can be seen: the Grand Hotel, built 1906, on the corner of Church Street; the All Saints Church built 1913, on the opposite side of Church Street; the Municipal Chambers of the Palmerston North City Council, now Square Edge; the Manawatu Evening Standard building.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- View of The Square, Palmerston North
- Held In