Skip to Content

More Info →Carow Ladies College and Von Blaramberg residence

This two-storey house was constructed about 1891 by Mr & Mrs C A Von Blaramberg and served as the family residence and the Carow Ladies’ College (also known as the Carow Girls’ Collegiate School) until about 1902. It was situated in Carow Street, but its main entrance was via a long driveway from Grey Street. From 1902-1908 it was the private residence of Duncan Matheson, who then sold it to the Catholic Church. In 1923 the building was cut in half and moved on rollers to the south side of Fitchett street, where it was the St Joseph’s Convent High School until 1974. The building was demolished in the 1990s to make way for a retirement village.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Scs65_SCH_0437
Title
Carow Ladies College and Von Blaramberg residence
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Craven School for Girls
Carow Ladies College and Von Blaramberg residence
Palmerston North Girls High School
Board of Governors and Staff of Palmerston North High School
Cattle being driven past Palmerston North Technical High School
Palmerston North High School Reunion
Awatapu College
Palmerston North Boys High School rugby team
Palmerston North Boys' High School
Palmerston North Technical School
Pupils outside Palmerston North Technical College
Opening of the Palmerston North Technical School

Creation

Created By
Place
Carow Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1900

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Craven School for Girls
Carow Ladies College and Von Blaramberg residence
Palmerston North Girls High School
Board of Governors and Staff of Palmerston North High School
Cattle being driven past Palmerston North Technical High School
Palmerston North High School Reunion
Awatapu College
Palmerston North Boys High School rugby team
Palmerston North Boys' High School
Palmerston North Technical School
Pupils outside Palmerston North Technical College
Opening of the Palmerston North Technical School

User comments