Aorangi was a private 26 bed hospital, designed by Reginald Thorrold-Jaggard, constructed on the site of Maurice Cohen’s estate in Grey Street. The section was purchased by Alfred Seifert and the house remodelled for a nurses' home while the hospital was being constructed in 1935. In 1950 it was bought by the Sisters of Mercy and renamed the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, then from 1969 Mercy Hospital. The old nurses’ home was demolished in 1972 to make way for the facilities of the new 12 patient geriatric wing opened in 1973. In 2000 it was bought by a group of local medical specialists and it is now again called Aorangi Hospital.