Aorangi private hospital was built on land occupied by Mr Maurice Cohen’s estate. The section was purchased by Mr A Siefert and the house remodelled for a nurses' home while the hospital was being constructed in 1935. The hospital was designed by Mr Reginald Thorrold-Jaggard, built by Messrs Dickel and Kempson, and originally had 10,000 square feet of floor area and facilities for 26 patients. The building was y-shaped to allow maximum sunlight to all the rooms. Aorangi later became the 'Mater', before being taken over by the Sisters of Mercy and becoming 'Mercy Hospital. The old nurses' home was demolished in 1972 to make way for a new 12 patient geriatric wing, opened in 1973.
- Created By
- Grey Street, Palmerston North
- Community Tags