The building under construction in Botanical Road was a new warehouse for Glaxo Laboratories, to be used for bulk storage. The Glaxo company was established in 1873 when J C Nathan started a small milk powder plant at Bunnythorpe, trading under the name Defiance. In 1908 the firm, using the trade name of Glaxo, introduced new baby food into the NZ and British markets. Glaxo went on to become an internationally recognised food and pharmaceutical producer. In 1950 new offices, laboratories and a pharmaceutical production factory were built in Botannical Road. Glaxo closed its operations in Palmerston North in 1995, and the buildings sold.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Glaxo Laboratories site, Botannical Road
- Held In