Skip to Content

More Info →Memorial Park swimming pool

Originally a metal pit for New Zealand Railways, this land was purchased by the City Council in 1940 for a park. The eastern end was developed into a cycle track, sports arena and skating rink between 1951 – 1954. In 1954 the park was renamed Memorial Park when a memorial dedicated to those who died in the two World Wars, was unveiled. By 1975 the parks facilities included a cycling rack, skating rink, children’s swimming pool and a play area in a garden setting.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2011P_P129_006094
Title
Memorial Park swimming pool
Relation
Public Photograph Collection P 129
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End
Helicopter transports materials to the Sledge Track, Kahuterawa
Bledisloe Park, Massey University
Camping at the Municipal Camping Ground, Dittmer Drive
Picnic at Foxton Beach
Municipal Camping Grounds, Dittmer Drive
Cycle and motor bike with sidecar on Victoria Drive, Victoria Esplanade
Memorial Park, Napier Road
Children's pool, Memorial Park
Memorial Park, Terrace End
Tea Kiosk, Victoria Esplanade
Cherry Blossom, Victoria Esplanade

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1950

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Aerial photograph of Memorial Park, Terrace End
Helicopter transports materials to the Sledge Track, Kahuterawa
Bledisloe Park, Massey University
Camping at the Municipal Camping Ground, Dittmer Drive
Picnic at Foxton Beach
Municipal Camping Grounds, Dittmer Drive
Cycle and motor bike with sidecar on Victoria Drive, Victoria Esplanade
Memorial Park, Napier Road
Children's pool, Memorial Park
Memorial Park, Terrace End
Tea Kiosk, Victoria Esplanade
Cherry Blossom, Victoria Esplanade

User comments