This mill was situated on the south side of Rowe's Line (now known as Rowe Road) about one mile east from the Foxton-Sanson Highway. The mill was started about the year 1874 by Mr Charles Nicholas Rowe, who had previously been flaxmilling on the Rangitikei River bank. He later took his four sons in partnership and the business was known as Rowe and Sons. The sons were Frederick, Thomas, William and Nicholas. After CN Rowe's death in 1902, the mill was carried on under the name of Rowe Brothers and closed down c1910-1912. Mr E N Rowe is a son of Thomas Rowe and a grandson of C N Rowe. He identified the people in the photograph as follows: From left, Thomas Rowe, C N Rowe, James Rowe (child), J Sutherley, W Rowe (child), Frederick Rowe, H Rowe (child in front), A Bowater, W Rowe, G Berry, W Henis, Mr Doug C Stent, H Rowe, A Anderson, C Rowe (child in front), R Hines, G Marshall, Nicholas Rowe. On the far left of the photo is the two-storey residence of the Rowe family. It is still standing today, but the top storey has been removed.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Rowe and Son's Sawmill, Rowe's Line, Rongotea
- Held In