This album documents the Western Brewery Co. Ltd. premises in Bates Street, Whanganui. Photographs include: the despatch office; racking room; cask washing stage; racking machine; fermenting cellar; weiss cylinders; cask pitching room; gyle room; and refrigeration machinery.
This album documents hotel buildings in the lower North Island (excluding the Wellington region), listing them alphabetically by the name of the business.
The hotels shown include the: Albion Hotel, Patea; Albion Hotel, Shannon; Albion Hotel, Whanganui; Alton Hotel, Alton; Apiti Hotel, Apiti; Aramoho Hotel, Whanganui; Argyle Hotel, Hunterville; Avoca Hotel, Upokongaro; Ben Nevis Hotel, Turakina; Bourke's Hotel, Kakaramea; Bridge Hotel, Whangaehu; Butler's Reef Hotel, Ōakura; Castlecliff Hotel, Whanganui; Carlton Hotel, Palmerston North; Central Hotel, Hawera; Central Hotel, Napier; Central Hotel, Patea; Central Hotel, Woodville; Clarendon Hotel, Waverley; Club Hotel, Clive; Club Hotel, Marton; Club Hotel, Ōpunake; Club Hotel, Pahiatua; Club Hotel, Palmerston North; Commercial Hotel, Ashhurst; Commercial Hotel, Hawera; Commercial Hotel, Kimbolton; Commercial Hotel, Manaia; Commercial Hotel, Normanby; Commercial Hotel, Stratford; Commercial Hotel, Whanganui; Coronation Hotel, Eltham; Denbigh Hotel, Feilding; Dominion Hotel, Feilding; Egmont Hotel, Hawera; Eltham Hotel, Eltham; Empire Hotel, Feilding; Empire Hotel, Palmerson North; Empire Hotel, Stratford; Federal Hotel, Whanganui; Feilding Hotel, Feilding; Fitzroy Hotel, New Plymouth; Fordell Hotel, Fordell; Grand Hotel, Hastings; Grand Hotel, Palmerston North; Grand Hotel, Whanganui; Gretna Hotel, Taihape; Halcombe Hotel, Halcombe; Hastings Hotel, Hastings; Imperial Hotel, New Plymouth; Imperial Hotel, Palmerston North; Imperial Hotel, Whanganui; Junction Hotel, Norsewood; Junction Hotel, Sanson; Kai Iwi Hotel, Kai Iwi; Mangholm Hotel, Mangaweka; Manawatū Hotel, Foxton; Manutahi Hotel, Manutahi; Masonic Hotel, Ashhurst; Masonic Hotel, Napier; Masonic Hotel, Patea; Masonic Hotel, Waitara; Masonic Hotel, Whanganui; Masonic Hotel, Woodville; Merrylees Hotel, Dannevirke; Midland Hotel, Palmerston North; Mt View Hotel, National Park; Napier Hotel, Napier; Oasis Hotel, Waiouru; Ohakune Hotel, Ohakune; Okiawa Hotel, Okaiwa; Pacific Hotel, Hastings; Post Office Hotel, Pahiatua; Post Office Hotel, Woodville; Provincial Hotel, Napier; Provincial Hotel, Whanganui; Raetihi Hotel, Raetihi; Railway Hotel, Hawera; Railway Hotel, Hunterville; Railway Hotel, Inglewood; Railway Hotel, Marton; Railway Hotel, Palmerston North; Railway Hotel, Woodville; Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls; Red Lion Hotel, Whanganui; Royal Hotel, Bunnythorpe; Royal Hotel, Hawera; Rutland Hotel, Whanganui; State Hotel, New Plymouth; Station Hotel, Whanganui; Taradale Hotel, Taradale; Terminus Hotel, Napier; Waimate Hotel, Manaia; Waitara Hotel, Waitara; Waitōtara Hotel, Waitōtara; Waverley Hotel, Waverley; White Hart Hotel, Hawera; White Hart Hotel, Marton; White Hart Hotel, New Plymouth; Whyte's Hotel, Foxton.
"A view of the south-western corner of The Square towards Coleman Place. Down the street, through the middle of The Square can be seen from left: Childs Hotel; Henderson’s Chemist; Luen and Co. Tailors; Hepworths; C M Ross Bon Marche store, Bank of Australia."
A photograph and newspaper album compiled Richard Everitt (Dick) Moxon. Photographs include: family and friends, Palmerston North Rangers Association Football Club, Chatteris Engineers Reserves. Clippings pertain to sporting achievements, marriage notices, the Brown Shield, and Mabel Lucy.
This photograph album spans the years 1903-1911 and showcases the life of young women at boarding schools in the late 19th Century.
This photograph album contains photographs of the Seifert flaxmills Weka and Miranui. Flax workers are pictured cultivating, gathering, drying and processing the fibres. Details of the transport operations undertaken by cart and barge are also shown.
The album was given to R H Webb on 9 March 1918 by the Managing Director of the mills, Alfred Seifert.
The "Hydrabad" went ashore on Waiterere Beach on 25th June 1878 in gale force winds while on voyage from Lyttleton to Adelaide. It was a full-rigged iron ship of 1250 tons net register, built in Scotland in 1865. Length 229.5 ft, beam 32.2 ft, depth 23.2 ft. The hull remains lying in the sand virtually intact but is slowly sinking and will eventually become completely covered. Surrounded by water at high tide, the hull is dry at low-tide. Most of the beams and frames of the hull are still in position and the lower parts of the masts are still standing - part of one broken mast lies beside the hull pointing out to sea.
Unidentified people visit the "Hydrabad" wreck. The "Hydrabad" went ashore on Waiterere Beach on 25th June 1878 in gale force winds while on voyage from Lyttleton to Adelaide. It was a full-rigged iron ship of 1250 tons net register, built in Scotland in 1865. Length 229.5 ft, beam 32.2 ft, depth 23.2 ft. The hull remains lying in the sand virtually intact but is slowly sinking and will eventually become completely covered. Surrounded by water at high tide, the hull is dry at low-tide. Most of the beams and frames of the hull are still in position and the lower parts of the masts are still standing - part of one broken mast lies beside the hull pointing out to sea.
This photograph Part A of three part panorama of the Square. the photograph looks across the Church Street side of The Square. In the centre back can be seen the former BNZ on the Corner of Fitzherbert Street, and on the left back can be seen the Grand Hotel. Square was bisected by the railway tracks, and trains ran through The Square until 1964 when the deviation around the city was completed. During this period The Square was divided into 5 areas by roads. See also 2014N_Sq367a_008715 for another view of the completed picture.
The Grammer family were early Ashhurst residents and the Grammer Family archive contains family information from 1868. Ron Grammer was the son of Tom Grammer and the family lived in Bainesse, close to Palmerston North. Private Ron Grammer served in World War Two. This album covers the Bainesse School 50th and 60th Jubilee celebrations.
A panorama in three parts of the Manawatu A and P Show of 1915. The first Agricultural and Pastoral Show in Palmerston North was held in 1886, at the Showgrounds.
These pages look like are originally from an album. The pages show: Broadway Avenue, Cherry Blossoms in the Esplanade, Grandstand in the Showgrounds after the 1936 gale, "Wrecked Motor Shed" after the 1936 gale, The Square and The Lakelet.
Photograph album mainly consisting of photographs of pupils and activities of Craven School, Palmerston North. The names written in ink were added by Lorna Playford, who donated the album to the Ian Matheson City Archives. Alongside views of life at the school, the album also contains holiday snaps and visits to neighbouring farms.
This photograph album depicts the Creighton Family of 5 Donnington Street, Palmerston North. It shows a range of different locations around Palmerston North and the surrounding area, ranging from 1940 to around 1943. The woman in most of the pictures (unless otherwise specified) is Emma Curling Creighton (aka Goldie, Bubs, Curling and Spiffy), while the man is Melvyn J Creighton. They married 19 July 1941 and had Robyn Curling Creighton 29 December 1942 and Lynn Melwynn Creighton 20 October 1948.
These photographs were taken at the launch of the "Women's Place" pamphlet and exhibition in 1993. Photo 1: Group outside Square Edge. John Thornley (far left), Pamela Benson (12th from left, brown jacket/fair hair), Roni Fitzmaurice (15th from left, grey hair/glasses), Sue Hall (?, 3rd from right). Photo 2: Gaynor Whyte (cutting ribbon) Margaret Weir (at right behind Gaynor Whyte), Noeline Penny (at left behind Gaynor Whyte). Photo 3: Margaret Tate. Photo 4: Margaret Tennant. Photo 5: One scene from the exhibition.
The Regent Theatre was built by the Australasian cinema and theatre chain J.C. Williamson Limited. Williamson's began its New Zealand operation in 1926. The theatre, one of several Regents built throughout New Zealand and Australia at this time, was a dual-purpose cinema and theatre. The Melbourne architect Charles Hollinshed was hired to design the building which was completed in 1930 at a cost of £46,000, becoming the largest and most lavish auditorium in the city. It retained its twin functions for much of its life, before falling into relative disuse and eventually closing in 1991. The Palmerston North City Council purchased the building 1993 and began restoration work in 1996.
The Regent Theatre is a now rare survivor of the heyday of the theatre/cinema. As the only such venue in Palmerston North to survive to this day, the Regent is of great social importance to the city. The exterior design, and to a much greater degree, interior design are remarkably authentic and rare examples of theatre design in New Zealand, and as such, the Regent is a landmark building in type and style.
The exterior is built in the Art Deco style, while the interior is Persian painted plaster ornament. The external symmetry, vertical fins, shallow stylised relief, stepped skyline, and chevron ornament are typical of the Art Deco style. The main entrance, with walls of coloured plaster and travertine, leads into a large barrel-vaulted, double height space, off which there are the entrances to the main performance space. The interior decoration of the theatre is taken directly from Owen Jones' book on design, “Grammar of Ornament.” The auditorium seats 1393 people in a two-tier circle and stalls arrangement (originally it accommodated 1600 guests).
Architect, Charles Hollinshed graduated from Sydney University in 1922, one of the first three graduates in architecture in Australia. With A.H. Walkely, Hollinshed practised in Melbourne and the firm specialised in theatre and cinema design. One of their best-known designs was Her Majesty's Theatre, Melbourne (1934). Hollinshed also design Hoyts Limited (with Richard Gailey) the celebrated "Spanish Gothic" Regent Theatre, Brisbane (1929), now demolished.