Heritage New Zealand Buildings

Have a look at some of the buildings in Palmerston North that feature on the Heritage New Zealand register.

Back to all Collections

 
Historic Places in Palmerston North

Historic Places in Palmerston North

A description of places listed on the Register of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, as at 2007 revised 2013). Compiled by Rosemary Harris, Margaret Tate and Pat Scrivens and published by the Manawatu Branch of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga. Buildings included: Regent Theatre; All Saints' Church; All Saints' Church Hall; Cathedral of the Holy Spirit; Grand Hotel building, Coronation Memorial,; Hitching Post; Te Peeti Te Awe Awe Memorial; Former T & G building; United Manawatu Lodge (now Aqaba); Ward Brothers building; Soldiers' Club building (former RSA, now Café Cuba); Palmerston North Technical Institute (now UCOL); Former Chief Post Office; Steeles building; Stubbs Jewellers building; Massey University Old Main Building (now Sir Geoffrey Perrin building); Massey University Refectory building; Wharerata; Craiglockhart (Moginie House); Old Dairy Factory (Dairy Research building); Caccia Birch house; 16 Guy Avenue; Kaingahou, 642 Pioneer Highway; 28 Ranfurly Street; Rangimarie, 3 Rangiora Avenue; Woolahra, Rangitikei Line; Cluny Park, Rangitikei Line; 239 and 241 Ruahine Street; 170 Russell Street; Hoffman Kiln; Hokowhitu School; Stone Wall, Pahiatua Track

Creator
Date
2013
Place
Palmerston North
 
Public Trust Office,

Public Trust Office,

The newly renovated Public Trust Office was completed in December 1979. A single storey brick building was built on this site in 1921. An extension was built in 1929 and a second storey added 1937–1938. The original front part of the building was demolished in August 1978 and replaced, as can be seen in the photograph.

 
Cottage at 'Papaiōea Historic Village'

Cottage at 'Papaiōea Historic Village'

This was the first building, originally built and lived in by Neil Christian Hansen in 1875, placed on the site of what was planned to be the Papaiōea Historic Village. The village was being established on James Line (opposite the cemetery gates) by Graham Norman. Mr Norman hoped to begin the village by redecorating an existing cottage on the front of the property.

 
Poppy Places Article - Anaru Place

Poppy Places Article - Anaru Place

The New Zealand Poppy Places Trust has been established to develop, promote, and oversee a nation-wide project to commemorate and recognise as part of the heritage of New Zealanders, the participation of New Zealand in military conflicts and military operational services overseas. [Poppy Places website](http://poppyplaces.nz).

 
Poppy Places Article - Leander Place

Poppy Places Article - Leander Place

The New Zealand Poppy Places Trust has been established to develop, promote, and oversee a nation-wide project to commemorate and recognise as part of the heritage of New Zealanders, the participation of New Zealand in military conflicts and military operational services overseas. [Poppy Places website.](http://poppyplaces.nz/)

Creator
Date
October 11, 2018
Place
Leander Place, Palmerston North
 
Harakeke Placing

Harakeke Placing

Anzac Day 2016 - 2000 flax poppies were woven by the community and placed around the War Memorial in The Square.

Date
2016
 
Poppy Places
Poppy Places Article - John Daniel HintonPoppy Places Article - Anaru PlaceTe Punga Place street sign with poppyDittmer Drive Sign with poppyPoppy Places Article - Ruha Street+30
More

Poppy Places

Throughout Palmerston North there are numerous places named after ordinary New Zealanders who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. The New Zealand Poppy Places Trust has been established to develop, promote, and oversee a nation-wide project to commemorate and recognise as part of the heritage of New Zealanders, the participation of New Zealand in military conflicts and military operational services overseas.

 
Poppy Places Article - Te Punga Place

Poppy Places Article - Te Punga Place

The New Zealand Poppy Places Trust has been established to develop, promote, and oversee a nation-wide project to commemorate and recognise as part of the heritage of New Zealanders, the participation of New Zealand in military conflicts and military operational services overseas. [Poppy Places website](http://poppyplaces.nz).

 
Public Trust Office, Main Street

Public Trust Office, Main Street

A permanent branch office was established in Palmerston North in 1919 with this particular building opening in 1922. An additional storey on a portion of the premises and extensive improvements on the ground floor of the building were carried out in the 1930s. The front of this building was demolished in August 1978, replaced with a new front section, completed December 1979.

 
Northcote Trust Hospital, Grey Street

Northcote Trust Hospital, Grey Street

The Northcote Hospital was first built in Grey Street early in the 1900s. Additions and alterations were made in 1916 and 1944. It was run by the Northcote Trust from 1970-1982 when it was sold to the Southern Cross Hospital Trust. Photograph of the Northcote Trust Hospital depicted in a painting by Jack Register, a prominent local painter.

 
Northcote Trust Hospital, Grey Street

Northcote Trust Hospital, Grey Street

Northcote Hospital on Grey Street is seen here in 1944 soon after the completion of extensive renovations. The building was built about 1904 for Mrs Freeman for use as a private hospital. The improvements of 1944 was financed by Miss Flower, designed by Mr R Thorrold-Jaggard and constructed by the McMillan brothers. When it reopened in late 1944 the hospital was described as one of the most up-to-date private hospitals in the country. It was run by the Northcote Trust from 1970-1982 when it was sold to the Southern Cross Hospital Trust.

Creator
Date
1944
 
"Historic Brown Jug" Gifted to Library

"Historic Brown Jug" Gifted to Library

This image was taken for a story that ran in The Manawatu Evening Standard on 08 June 1961 "Mr. T. Nuttale, the assistant-librarian at the Palmerston North Library, is seen inspecting a small brown jug manufactured in the Hartley potteries at Falmouth, England before 1800. The jug was presented to the Palmerston North Library Archives section by Mrs. E.M. Ryman, of Hamilton."

Creator
Date
June 8, 1961
 
Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 1
Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 2Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 3Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 4Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 5Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme 6+3
More

Historical Maori Pageant Souvenir Programme

From the title page, "Historical Maori Pageant Organised and Staged by the Maori People of the Manawatu District for the Diamond Jubilee Committee of Palmerston North as an event during the Celebrations, held in November 20th to 27th, 1937. Maori Committee: Rangi Marumaru (Parewanui), Chairman Hoani Meihana Apakura Meihana Durie (Aorangi) Wiremu K Te Aweawe (Rangiotu) Akuira Te Rangi (Rangiotu) Tata Roera (Awahuri) Te Hiwawa Paurini (Tokorangi) Purangi Herangi (Pikiahu-Waewae, Halcombe) Te Haeana Wi Hemara (Motuiti) Pitihira Reihana (Motuiti) Takerei Kohika (Poutu-Shannon) Hon. Rangi Mawhete, M.L.C. (Convener) Taite Te Tomo (Kakariki) (Kaumatua representing the older generation of assembled tribes) Rikihana B Carkeek, Hon. Secretary" Printed by local company H. L. Young Ltd.

Creator
Date
1937
 
Shop, Coleman Place

Shop, Coleman Place

Built in 1906 for J A Nash and Co this shop ran through to Cuba Street. It has been occupied by numerous businesses over the years, including Non-Pareil Cycle Co., Berryman’s Music Shop and several billiard halls.

 
A View of Coleman Place

A View of Coleman Place

Looking into Coleman Place with Rosco's store and the Union Bank of Australia of the left. The Mayfair Theatre is directly ahead in George Street. Hallenstein Brothers is on the right. When widening Coleman Place, the owners of this store tried to sell the land for an inflated cost, which proved to be too much for the City Council, so Coleman Place remained as seen in this photograph.

 
Resealing Battersea Place

Resealing Battersea Place

The cul-de-sac at the end of Battersea Place prevented the machine from successfully re-sealing the road. After two attempts, workers had to finish the sealing by hand.

Creator
Date
June 16, 1905
Place
Battersea Place, Palmerston North
Load More Items