William Ross and Sons factory transferred to Foxton from Napier in June 1906. It was situated on 6 ½ acres in Johnston Street with a detached office. They manufactured binder twine, shop twine, manila flax ropes and lashings, plough lines, clothes lines and all classes of polished lines in twines and ropes. The business was destroyed by fire in 1909 and was replaced by a corrugated iron rope factory, which later became the “Opra” flaxmill of A Ross, Rough and Co. Ltd.
This booklet details the history of the historic cottage Totaranui, which now sits in the Te Manawa Museum complex.
This image was taken for a story that ran in The Manawatu Evening Standard on 27 February 1958, page 11: "This new building is shown taking shape near the corner of Queen and Rangitikei Streets. The new structure is to stand next to the Government Life building soon to be constructed."
This image was taken for a story that ran in The Manawatu Evening Standard on 26 December 1958: "The captain of the Central Districts team (H.B. Cave), who was vice-captain of the New Zealand team which toured England this year, is seen leading his team out on to the field yesterday at the Sportsground in the match against Northern Districts. He is followed by N.S. Harford, who also toured England this year."
This image was taken for a story that ran in The Manawatu Evening Standard on 13 February 1958, page 11: "The cadet R.S.M. (Warrant Officer P. Morgan) is shown landing A Company in the salute to Group Captain C.A. Turner at the close of the Palmerston North Boys' High School barracks week yesterday. On the left of Group Captain Turner is the rector of the High School (Mr. E.S. Craven)."
Stage Crew from the Manawatu Theatre Society take a piece of the Little Shop of Horrors set off a truck and into the Globe Theatre.
A newly acquired image intensifier, purchased by the Palmerston North Hospital. It could be shifted into position over a patient during surgery, giving the surgeon instant x-rays of his progress. The image taken was sent onto two monitors, one which froze the picture, while the next image was projected.
This postcard of the Square shows the South side of the Square, from Church Street West to near the corner of Main Street West. The buildings, from left, are: E O Olsen Tailors, an unidentified building, the Evening Standard, the Municipal Chambers (now Square Edge), the second All Saints Church (replaced by current structure in 1914), The Grand Hotel, The Daily Times and Watson & Eyre Painters, Watchorn's Jewellers, R Hannah Bootmaker, William Park Bookseller, R Leary Chemist. Train tracks run through the middle of the photograph's foreground.
This building in Foxton may be a boarding house.
Hokowhitu is a suburb of Palmerston North, situated towards the Manawatu River. The book was published by the Palmerston North Historical Society.
A view of the dairy at Himatangi Beach.
Walter Chisholm, J.P. was the first Englishman in Mauriceville. He was the storekeeper and ran his business on the site of the first schoolhouse. The photograph shows from left: Peter Petersen; Spark the dog; Peter Lollander; Walter Chisholm; Mrs Chisholm; A Forsberg.
John Bleakley's Rongotea shop. This is not the same shop as in 2014P_IMCA-Coolstore_008422