Skip to Content

The Royal building was built in 1898 as Dawick's Buffet, and by 1906 offered 90 rooms and was the largest accommodation house in Palmerston North. The Royal Hotel originally stood on the corner of The Square and Rangitikei Street, but when the site was sold to the BNZ in 1913 the licence was taken over by the Dawick Brothers. It has remained a licenced hotel since that time.Photographs taken for Historic Pubs of Palmerston North walk, Local History Week 2010. Tour guides Bryan Ibell and Cindy Lilburn.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010BD_IMCA-DigitalMaster_004440
Title
The Royal, Rangitikei Street
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive
Relation
Local History Week 2010 Photograph Collection
Date
November 3, 2010

Related items

Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Eketahuna Hotel
Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square
Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
Club Hotel, Church Street
Doorway to the Railway Hotel, Main Street, Palmerston North

Creation

Created By
Place
Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
building,
buildings,
hostelry,
photographs,
Community Tags
car,

Report a problem

Related items

Masonic Hotel, Main Street
Cafe de Paris, corner of Main and Domain Streets
Cafe de Paris,corner of Main and Domain Street
Empire Hotel, corner of Main and Princess Streets
Cafe de Paris, side entrance, Domain Street
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
New Railway Hotel, Main Street
Eketahuna Hotel
Grand Hotel's former turret, The Square
Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
Club Hotel, Church Street
Doorway to the Railway Hotel, Main Street, Palmerston North