The Chief Palmerston North Post Office was built 1905-1906 and was extended in both the 1920's and again in 1937, as seen in this photograph. It was designed by Mr J Charlesworth and built by James Trevor and Sons. The clock and chimes were installed later in 1906 and were paid for by Palmerston North citizens. After the Wellington earthquake in 1942, the clock tower was removed and the clock put in storage until it was rehoused in the Clock Tower in The Square in 1955. The original clock and chimes are named Kerei Te Panau, after a well known Rangitane Chief. The building remained in use as a Post Office/Post Bank until 1987. It is currently a cafe/bar, named Highflyers (2007).
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Chief Post Office, corner of The Square and Main Street east
- Held In