A new Post Office for Palmerston North was completed and opened in 1906, on the site of previous one, on the corner of Main Street and The Square. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. The Post Office building is now used as a restaurant and bar. The building on the left is "Palmerston Pictures", which later became "The Kosy" theatre. The gardens of the Square are visible on the left side of the picture.