Skip to Content

More Info →Main Post Office

This building was Palmerston North’s fourth Post Office, operating from 1906-1988. The original 1906 building was extended towards Broadway and up Main Street in the early 1920s and in 1937. It was originally built with a clock tower but this was removed in 1942 after an earthquake for safety reasons and the clock and chimes were re-housed in the Hopwood Clock Tower in The Square in 1957.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Po17_007511
Title
Main Post Office
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Po 17
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Main Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Christmas Lights on Broadway Avenue
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office
Bulls Post Office
Post Office, Shannon
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
A View of the Square - Looking Towards Broadway Avenue

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1963

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Main Post Office
Band Rotunda in the Square
Christmas Lights on Broadway Avenue
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office
Palmerston North Post Office
Bulls Post Office
Post Office, Shannon
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
A View of the Square - Looking Towards Broadway Avenue

User comments