The photograph for this postcard was taken in the first years after the opening of the new Palmerston North Post Office in 1906. It was built on the site of previous one, on the corner of Main Street and The Square. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. The Post Office building is now used as a restaurant and bar. The back of the postcard reads, "Maoriland Postcard"
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Post Office, Palmerston North
- Held In