Skip to Content
The Square, 1912 1

More Info →The Square, 1912

The fountain in the foreground of this postcard once stood is in western quadrant of The Square, in front of where the Central Library now sits [2017]. It is shown here before the Coronation monument for Edward VII was added on top (1925). The building with the clock tower is the former Post Office. Built in 1906, it was Palmerston North’s fourth post office. The tower was removed in 1942 after the Wairarapa earthquake. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a bar.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2016P_Postcard9_013198
Title
The Square, 1912
Held In
Coolstore
Archive
Postcard Collection

Related items

The Square, 1912
General Post Office, Palmerston North
A View of the Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Post Office, Palmerston North
The Lakelet in The Square
Rose Gardens in the Square
The Square, Palmerston North
A View of the Square - Looking Towards Rangitikei Street.
King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, The Square
Overlooking The Square

Creation

Created By
Date
1912

Object rights

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square, 1912
General Post Office, Palmerston North
A View of the Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Post Office, Palmerston North
The Lakelet in The Square
Rose Gardens in the Square
The Square, Palmerston North
A View of the Square - Looking Towards Rangitikei Street.
King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, The Square
Overlooking The Square

User comments